A trip by Vehicle – ways to make it safe
If you are giving a thought to a trip by vehicle then surely it will add more moments to your trip to be cherished for. The trip may last for one day to as long as your time permit or you desire, but the planning part for the same requires only a few minutes prior to boarding and it must be given adequate attention. Planning requires minute attention to each and every aspect of your trip starting from time and money to reaching back safely to home.
For the general planning aspect or things to keep in mind before any trip you can visit another blog and that will helpful for you. In this blog, we will discuss some prerequisite or important points to keep in my mind if you are traveling on the trip by your personal/private vehicle. If you are travelling by four-wheeler than you have some options like travelling by private hired vehicle/sharing based hired vehicle or personal vehicle. We will discuss each in detail and suggestions for editing are most welcomed.
Private hired vehicle:
If you have hired four-wheeler to complete your trip by vehicle from any travel agency/transport service provider then there are some points you must tick before boarding:
- Travel agency offering you service must credible, authentic, full proof, registered with the government, and if possible should be well known to you.
- The travel agency must display the Certificate of approval of recognition/renewal or extension given by MOT in the office by pasting it on a board or in a picture frame so that it is visible to a potential tourist.
- Travel agency providing drivers should have all details about the driver with them and must share the same with you.
- Vehicle details must be shared by you to your close relatives for emergency situation.
- The vehicle provided must be fully serviced and all precautions must be taken by the driver while driving.
- Check the vehicle for full in-depth insurance and not just third party insurance.
- logistic support for the driver during travel to be discussed with the agency prior to booking like stay and food arrangements of the driver to be born by whom.
- Taxes levied by state governments on border crossing and Toll gates must be well discussed priorly.
- If possible, compare the price for the trip from more than two travel operators.
- The physical condition of the vehicle to be checked for comfort, as once booked it is very difficult for you to negotiate with private operators for anything.
These guidelines are subjected to change from time to time so you can go through the update one by visiting the official website of India Tourism.
The government also issues notification with respect to the approved agents in all the states of India which you must go through before booking any vehicle or approaching travel agency by visiting the official government.
If you have decided to proceed with your traveling by personal four-wheeler than various points can be taken s guidelines prior to boarding
- The first and foremost thing is to check the terrain and road you are going to take. If it is a mountain region you are going to explore, and you find yourself uncomfortable to drive than I must recommend you hire a professional driver for your trip.
- It is not only about your safety but also about the traffic problems which occur frequently in hilly towns just because of reckless and unskilled driving of tourists.
- After giving a thought on all such things if you are ok with personal driving than its great….. let’s go for another minute detailing:
- Servicing of vehicle- please make sure the vehicle is serviced by an authorized service center before going on a long trip to avoid any unnecessary breakdown and halt en route.
- Vehicle must be checked for each and every part, and you must brief the service boy about your vehicle going to hilly terrain in the near future so that he can minutely service the vehicle.
- Servicing history must be entered in the logbook so that in the event of a breakdown during the trip, it can act as a guideline for the other serviceman.
- Your vehicle must be checked for its suspension, brakes, acceleration, clutch part, engine oil, radiator, coolant, and engine performance. If you are driving an automatic vehicle than all the electronic circuits must be checked for full proofing. If possible brake pad of the vehicle must be replaced with a new one if going for hilly areas.
- Documentation– do make sure that you are carrying all the related documents of the vehicle with you like Registration Card (RC), Driving License (DL), valid pollution certificate, Insurance certificate, servicing documents, or logbook of the vehicle and any other documents you feel good to carry.
- Vehicle must be insured properly with the full insurance and not just third party insurance.
- Make sure that your car is fitted with a parking sensor, back view mirror, and blind-spot mirror. In addition, the fast tag must be attached to avoid long queues and traffic at toll gates.
- Accessories- you must be in possession with some accessories in your vehicle like Hydraulic jack, Inflator, car tool kit, towing kit, Tissue paper box, First Aid Kit, Air Purifier, Rope, Knife, Puncture repair kit, USB charger, and Aux cable to play music from mobile.
- All the five tires of your vehicle including spare one must be of the same company and same size, otherwise, it can lead to balancing and other problems in the vehicle which can be dangerous in hilly areas and during long drives. Also, carry spare nuts that are used in the tyre because if more than two nuts get detached from a tire then it becomes risky to drive with the same tire.
- The air/nitrogen pressure in all the four tyres must be kept at suitable limits all the times and tyres must be checked regularly after some drive. Both rear Tyres must have a maximum of 30 lbs while both forward Tyres should have a maximum of 30 lbs of pressure.
- Blades of wiper must be new as in event of rain and fog it will be helpful.
- Please keep checking your vehicle for the availability of fuel in it and also you must have information regarding nearby fuel stations in emergency and instruct the same to your driver. Make it a habit of driving the vehicle with fuel in the tank up to top-level especially while you are on trip.
- Book your accommodation i.e hotels having a parking facility.
- If a hotel is not having parking than book accommodation near the parking area so that carrying of luggage don’t create a problem.
- If possible drive the petrol vehicle only in hilly areas, good pickup is a requirement. If carrying diesel vehicle then it must be less run. Also in a diesel vehicle, the problem of freezing fuel in tank and pump is quite common in the area of minus temperature.
- If going for less temp area than the vehicle must have a heater facility.
- If having a tubeless tire, then also do carry a tube as an extra precaution in the case when you did not find any repair shop then it will be useful.
Additional guidelines: apart from the important points discussed with you in the blog, there are some general points that can be useful for you to plan your travel. Some worth reading points can be discussed through another blog, as including in the same blog will be out of the scope of the subjected blog.